Make Shoryu’s Japanese chicken katsu curry
This recipe for Japanese chicken katsu curry is perfect for National Katsu Curry Day as well as any other day of the year, for that matter
Preparation time 25 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
- 1 large onion
- 1 large potato
- 1 large carrot
- 3-4 cubes of Japanese curry stock
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp pickled radish
- 2 cups rice
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 large egg
- vegetable oil
- Chop onion, potato and carrot into small chunks and add to large pan of boiling water.
- Cook vegetables until they soften and start cooking the rice as per the instructions on the packet.
- Add 3-4 curry stock cubes to the vegetables and water, allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Keep mixing until the curry sauce is thick and smooth.
- Cover the chicken breasts with flour first, then raw egg and then panko bread crumbs.
- Fry the chicken breasts with vegetable oil in a separate pan and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Slice the cooked chicken katsu into strips and lay over a bed of rice before adding curry sauce and garnish with pickled radish.