Make The Ninth's pickled mussels, peppers and chorizo
Jun Tanaka is a deft hand with seafood. This herby, summer shellfish recipe packs a proper flavour punch and comes straight off the menu of his Michelin-starred restaurant The Ninth
Preparation time 45 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
- 1kg mussels
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 clove of garlic
- 200ml white wine
- 1 red onion, diced
- 300g chorizo, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 red chilli, diced
- Basil oil (available in most major supermarkets or you can make your own from scratch)
- Basil, julienned
- 50ml sherry vinegar
- Spicy paprika
- Sweat the shallots, garlic and thyme in olive oil for 2 mins, add the mussels and white wine, cover with a lid and cook for a further 2 mins. Use a large saucepan with lid.
- Pour the mussel juice through a sieve into a clean plan. Turn up the heat and reduce until the liquid has reduced by two thirds.
- In a separate pan, sweat the chorizo, add the peppers, red onion, chilli and sweat a little.
- Deglaze the mix by pouring over a little vinegar. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 mins.
- Once cool, add to the picked mussels, drizzle over a little basil oil and season to taste.
- To serve mix through the basil, then spoon into bowl and sprinkle with paprika.