Make this warm Jersey Royal and seaweed salad
Jersey Royal potatoes are the starchy star of the show in this fresh and vibrant East Asian-inspired salad
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
- 225g Jersey Royal potatoes
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 125g shredded, cooked roast duck or chicken meat
- 1 pak choi, cut in strips
- 1 large carrot, cut in julienne strips
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced (leave the seeds in if you like it hot)
For the seaweed salad:
- 15g dried mixed seaweed
- 2 tsp white miso
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add a pinch of salt and the Jersey Royal potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Whilst the potatoes cook, bring a pan of water to the boil for the eggs. Carefully add the eggs and cook for 6 minutes for a soft yolk centre, leave for longer if you prefer a firmer texture. Remove and transfer to cold water until cool enough to handle then peel and halve.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain, run under cold water and when cool enough to handle dice and drizzle over the rice vinegar.
- To make the seaweed salad, rehydrate the seaweed according to the pack instructions or by soaking in cold water for around 10 minutes, then drain.
- Next combine the white miso, soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil and lemon juice in a small bowl and then pour half of it over the seaweed, stirring to mix. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and set aside.
- Gently warm the duck or chicken meat in the microwave or in a pan with a little water.
- To serve, combine the potatoes with the carrot and pak choi on a serving plate. Top with the duck and a large spoonful of seaweed salad. Add the egg and drizzle over the remaining salad dressing. Scatter some chilli and serve.