For this recipe, the pickled radishes and infused oil can be prepared days beforehand and stored in sterile jars ahead of time.
Make Michel Roux Jr's poached Skrei, cauliflower purée and pickled radishes
This recipe adds cauliflower and curry spice to Norway's vaunted seasonal Skrei cod
Preparation time 20 mins
Cooking time 35 mins
- 4 Norwegian Skrei fillets (deboned and skinned)
- 1 ltr milk
- 1 tbsp salt
To prepare the curry infused oil
- 100ml rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
To prepare the pickled radishes (fills a ½ litre jar)
- 1 bunch radishes
- Pinch of mustard seeds
- 2 crushed black peppercorns
- 200ml water
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 3 tbsp honey
To prepare the roasted cauliflower
- 150g large cauliflower florets
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pinch of chilli powder
To prepare the cauliflower purée
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 400g cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 300ml milk
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp extra thick double cream
- Zest of half a lemon
- Coriander cress for dressing
- Salt and pepper
- Place the oil in a saucepan and gently heat to 60°C. Stir in the curry powder and cover the pan with cling film. Set aside to infuse for two hours.
- Rinse and trim the radishes. Slice finely or for extra crunch, quarter. Place in ½ litre jar with mustard seeds and peppercorns.
- Bring the water, vinegar, salt and honey to the boil in a pan. Once at a rolling boil pour into the jar of radishes. Cool to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the cauliflower florets in a bowl. Combine with the oil, chilli powder and a pinch of salt. Spread onto a baking tray and roast for 25 to 30 minutes until charred.
- For the purée, put olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Sweat the cauliflower for 2 minutes. Add the curry powder and garlic and sear for a further 2 minutes. Add the milk and simmer for 10 minutes until tender and three quarters of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a blender and purée with butter and cream. Once silky smooth, season with salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- For the fish, pour the milk into a pan and season with salt. Place over a gentle heat. Once simmering, delicately add the Skrei and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the fish from the milk and serve immediately with the purée and cauliflower. Garnish with pickled radishes and herbs.