"I thoroughly enjoy this dish with warm chapatti, although it’s also great with rice or, alternatively, with green salad in a wrap. I love how easy it is to make. The lentils and beetroot really complement one other – all that’s needed to bring them together is a little cumin and chilli." – Chetna Makan
Make Chetna Makan's beetroot sabji with moong dal
This bright and seasonal dish from Chetna Makan is an easy, healthy dinner option that delivers a lovely little cumin kick
Preparation time 25 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Pinch of asafoetida (available in most mainstream supermarkets)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g split yellow moong lentils (moong dal)
- 600ml boiling water
- 1 large beetroot, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium–low heat. When the oil is hot, and add the asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- After 1–2 minutes, when they start sizzling, throw in the curry leaves, then the onion, and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Add the moong dal and measured boiling water to the saucepan. Stir well, then cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, until the dal is half cooked.
- Add the grated beetroot, salt, cumin and chilli powder and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20–25 minutes, until the dal is soft. Serve immediately.