Make José Pizarro's chorizo, olive and judion bean stew
Make the most of that jar of black hojiblanca olives lurking at the back of your cupboard with chef and restaurateur José Pizarro's hearty recipe for chorizo and butter bean stew
Preparation time 5 mins
Cooking time 45 mins
- Olive oil to fry
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 250g raw chorizo, cut into chunks
- Good pinch sweet smoked paprika
- 200ml Manzanilla sherry
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 175g black hojiblanca olives
- 600g jar judion beans (or butter beans), drained
- Heat a glug of oil in a sauté pan or casserole and gently fry the onions for 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, thyme, chorizo and paprika and fry until the chorizo starts to release all its fat.
- Add the sherry and bubble for a few minutes to reduce by half then add the tomatoes and olives. Season well and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the beans and cook for a further 10 minutes then serve with crusty bread.