Flour, eggs and milk, right? Wrong. Well, not exactly wrong, but doing pancakes the simple way feels like something of a missed opportunity when you could be tucking into a stack of soft, bouncy American-style ones. Soho diner Christopher's has got it down to a near art – see the recipe below (or go there yourself if you don't fancy washing up).
American-style pancakes from Christopher's Grill
Elevate pancakes to something special with this recipe from Soho diner Christopher's Grill
Preparation time 20 mins
Cooking time 10 mins
- 500g plain flour
- 6 tbsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150ml buttermilk
- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- clarified butter for cooking
- Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Add the eggs and the buttermilk, mix together, then add the melted butter. Whisk, and leave it to rest (if you have time) to become aerated.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on moderate heat. Add a touch of clarified butter into the pan. Add a small ladle of batter to the pan. Cook for about three minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip it over and cook for a further three minutes.
- Transfer the pancake to a plate and keep it warm while you're making the rest of the pancakes. Serve with a knob butter, maple syrup and sweet-cured bacon.