Upgrade your pancakes with year with this recipe from Mark Hix of Hix Mayfair and Tramshed, which is topped with seasonal field mushrooms and tangy Berkswell sheep's cheese.
Make Mark Hix's mushroom pancakes for Pancake Day
Make pancakes the main event this Pancake Day with field mushrooms and tangy Berkswell Cheese
Preparation time 10 mins
Cooking time 10 mins
For the pancake batter
- 250ml milk
- 120g flour
- 1 small egg
- ½ tsp salt and a pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the base
- 1 small onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 120g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps olive oil
To make the pancake
- 1 measure of savoury pancake batter (as above)
- 6-8 medium-sized field mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tbsps olive oil
- 60g butter
- 4tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps fresh white breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsps grated Berkswell cheese
- To make the base, heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and gently cook the onion, garlic and mushrooms with a lid on for 4-5 minutes, seasoning and stirring as they are cooking. Remove from the heat, and put to one side.
- To make the pancakes, whisk all the batter ingredients together with one third of the milk until smooth. Then whisk in the remaining milk and strain, if necessary.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, rub with a little vegetable oil, then pour in a little pancake mix, and immediately tilt the pan so that the mixture spreads evenly. Turn after 1 minute with a spatula or palette knife.
- Prepare the topping: heat olive oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the field mushrooms for a couple of minutes. Season them, add two thirds of the butter and cook for a couple more minutes, turning as they are cooking. Next, add half the parsley and remove from the heat.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a pan and mix with the breadcrumbs, the rest of the parsley and the Berkswell cheese.
- To serve, reheat the pancakes, spoon and spread on the mushroom base, and then scatter over the mushrooms and the topping mix.