Make Bertie's veggie burgers with cheese
Liven up your summer barbecue with this recipe from family cheesemaker Wyke Farms
Preparation time 1 hour
Cooking time 30 mins
For the veggie burgers
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 Cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 300g Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 Large Carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 x 400g tin haricot beans, drained
- 20g fresh breadcrumbs
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Semolina to roll
For the toppings
- 6 Ciabatta rolls, cut in half
- 300g Wyke Farms Mature Cheddar, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Crunchy lettuce leaves
For the salsa
- 4 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 6 Spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ Red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- Handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Cook gently for a couple of minutes until softened and glistening, then add the garlic. Stir for a further couple of minutes and then add the spices. Cook for a minute stirring constantly before adding the mushrooms and carrots. Allow these to cook down for about 3-4 minutes, adding a drizzle more oil if they start to stick to the pan.
- Once the vegetables are just cooked, add the rest of the veggie burger ingredients and blend roughly in a food processor until you have a thick paste.
- Dip your hands into some semolina and press the mixture into 6 burgers.
- Place them on a tray lined with baking parchment and cover with cling film. Leave in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight. You can also freeze them at this stage.
- To make the salsa, mix together all the ingredients and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To assemble the burgers, split the buns and griddle or toast the inside in a dry frying pan. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil in the frying pan and fry the burgers for about 4-5 minutes in each side until golden brown. Cut the slices of cheese in half and place 2 halves on the top of each burger. Leave to melt.
- Serve the burgers inside the bun with the salsa, sliced avocado, lettuce leaves and anything else you fancy!