Made properly, this lightly dressed salad by James Lowe of vaunted restaurant Lyle's should be perfectly balanced. The peas should be the best quality possible – at their freshest they will be sweet and crunchy. It's also important that the ingredients are straight from the fridge, but the cheese is at room temperature. Lowe will be making the dish for his feast as part of S. Pellegrino's Live in Italian series on the terrace at Harvey Nichols. Ollie Dabbous, Theo Randall and Alyn Williams will also be hosting their own feasts, taking place until early August.
Make James Lowe's pea and Ticklemore salad
Sweet, crunchy peas are teamed with Ticklemore cheese for a well-balanced salad packed with flavour and texture
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 0 mins
- 200g podded peas
- 60g pea shoots
- 60g Ticklemore cheese
- 40 wild pea flowers or 16 nasturtium flowers
- 8 sprigs chervil
- 12 mint leaves
- 120g olive oil
- 40g apple juice
- 40g cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Using a pestle and mortar, combine half the chervil with salt and grind until bright green and broken down.
- Combine the olive oil, apple juice and cider vinegar to make the salad dressing.
- Chop the mint leaves roughly. Mix with the peas and add dressing, a pinch of pepper and the chervil salt to taste.
- Plate the peas and spread into a thin layer.
- Cover the peas with thinly sliced Ticklemore.
- Mix the pea shoots in the same bowl, using the shoots as a tool to mop up whatever is left in the bowl so they're lightly dressed.
- Put the pea shoots on top of the cheese. Finish with the flowers and picked chervil leaves.