Want to know how to use a classic Norwegian fish in a beautiful, modern recipe? Seafood from Norway's ambassador Simon Hulstone – the chef-patron of the Michelin-starred The Elephant in Torquay – has created a dish that'll help you do just that.
Make Simon Hulstone's Norwegian cod with clams
A fillet of Norwegian Cod is served alongside clams and vegetable hearts with an orange and basil dressing – it's a dish that's big on flavour and impressive to look at, but simple to put together
Preparation time 25 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
- 4x 180g Norwegian Cod fillets
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 beef tomato
- 2 yellow or heritage variety tomatoes
- 1 straight cucumber
- 4 button onions
- 3 spring onions preferably red ones
- 15 clams
- 150ml white wine
- 50ml fresh orange juice
- 100ml olive oil
- Caster sugar to taste
- 2 oranges
- Salt to taste
- 5 basil leaves large, julienne
To garnish (if available)
- Selection of micro basils
- Buttervilla micro red wood sorrel
- Wood sorrel green
- 4 borage flowers
- Rocket flowers
- Ensure that the cod is free from scales and bones, trim to shape and season.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and remove carefully the seed sack, set aside, cut the cucumber into 1 ½ inch pieces and using an apple corer deseed, retain the seeds.
- Peel and cut in half the button onions, separate the layers of onion and blanch quickly in salted water. Trim and blanch the spring onions and refresh.
- In a griddle pan, place the spring onions and cook for a few minutes to gain grill marks, season. Place the cod skin side down in a non-stick pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes then flip and cook for a further 2 minutes. Place the onion hearts into the griddle pan just to reheat.
- In a hot pan place the clams, cover and add a glass of white wine to steam. Steam until clams start to open, then remove the clams from the shell and set aside.
- To make the sauce bring the orange juice to the boil in a separate pan and whisk in the olive oil and season with the salt and sugar. Segment the orange and cut into half each segment.
- To serve, arrange the tomato hearts and the grilled vegetables around the plate, warm the cucumber in a pan and toss with a little olive oil. Add the clams and julienne of basil to the sauce and spoon around. Finish with the remaining vegetables and herbs and flowers, serve immediately.