"Pan con Tomate is a fantastic recipe to enjoy with your friends and family. It's simple, quick and delicious. When working with fresh ingredients, dishes can be simple and still have a lot of punch. The acidity of the fresh tomatoes matches well with Cava's crisp acidity and bready character helping to bring out its fruit character. This is the perfect pairing for Aperitivo time!" – Raul Diaz
Raul Diaz’s pan con tomate
This recipe for pan con tomate from Raul Diaz's Wines & Recipes cookbook makes for the ideal starter to any dinner party
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 loaf of bread
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Grate them into a small ball without the stems and skins. Add the olive oil and the salt to the tomato paste.
- Toast slices of bread in the toaster.
- Cut the clove of garlic in half and then rub it on the toasted bread. Don’t skip this step – it adds needed flavour to the bread.
- Spread the tomato paste onto the slices of bread and drizzle a bit more of olive oil. Salt to