A bit of fizz always goes down well in a gathering, but you can put an extra-festive spin on things with this cocktail recipe from one of our favourite mixologists, Ryan Chetiyawardana of White Lyan and Dandelyan. He says, "The berries are nicely tart, so marrying them with the vitality of the champagne and some sweetness draws out the best in them. They make a great garnish to the drink too!"
Add some festive sparkle to your fizz with this recipe for spiced cranberries with champagne
'Tis the season to razzle dazzle and this recipe for spiced cranberries with champagne from Mr Lyan is particularly festive, making it perfect for parties
Preparation time 5 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
- 1 orange
- 3 tbsps fresh cranberries
- 100ml cranberry juice
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 100g sugar
- 1 tablespoon curaçao
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- Ice cubes
- Chilled champagne, to finish
- Zest the orange using a peeler, then juice it, straining off any seeds or bits of pulp.
- To make cranberry syrup, add the cranberries, orange and cranberry juices, anise, clove and peel to a small pot along with the sugar and warm gently.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar then remove from the heat. When cool, fish out the spices and peel but leave the cranberries in.
- Put the cognac and curaçao in a mixing glass filled with ice.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the cranberry syrup and stir.
- Strain into a flute, add one or two cranberries from the syrup and top with champagne.