This simple but effective cake, made with semolina (flour that's made from corn, not wheat) is a surefire crowd-pleaser. Dried and candied fruit can be added to amp up the flavours if you wish.
Make The Silver Spoon's semolina cake
This semolina cake isn't just delicious, it's also versatile – add dried fruit into the mix, or serve it with fresh summer berries
Preparation time 20 mins
Cooking time 70 mins
- 700ml water
- 150g semolina
- Pinch of salt
- 100g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150ml milk, at room temperature
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 20cm round cake pan.
- Pour the water into a pan and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, sprinkle in the semolina and salt. Cook for eight minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Transfer the semolina to a bowl to cool for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the sugar and lemon zest. Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time. Whisk in the whole egg, vanilla, and milk, until the mixture's soft.
- Pour the semolina mixture into the prepared pan and bake until the top of the cake is a dark, golden brown (the cake will have a runny, pudding-like texture) about one hour. Let cool.
- Serve sprinkled with icing sugar.