Take your brunch game up a level by making this vegan French toast this weekend.
Make Bettina Campolucci Bordi's vegan French toast
Bettina takes the fresh zing of smashed raspberries and the rich indulgence of smooth almond butter, marrying them together in the most delicious recipe for vegan-friendly French toast you have ever seen
Preparation time 10 mins
Cooking time 10 mins
- 4 slices of good quality, shop-bought bread
- 160ml almond or plant milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Tiny pinch of salt
- Coconut oil, for frying
For the filling
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- Coconut sugar
- Dollop of coconut yoghurt, shop-bought or home-made
- Chopped nuts
- First spread all 4 slices of bread with almond butter and squash as many raspberries as you can fit in over 2 pieces of bread, then press them down with a fork. Top with the other slices and gently press down.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt. Place the bread in a shallow dish (with sides) that holds all of the bread. Pour the batter over the bread, then lift or flip it over to make sure both sides are evenly coated.
- Heat a drizzle of coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the bread slices and cook for a few minutes each side until golden brown.
- To make it look pretty, cut your toast in half and serve scattered with coconut sugar and fruit and drizzled with maple syrup and a dollop of coconut yoghurt and some chopped nuts, or just have it as it is.