Make Grill My Cheese's tuna melt
Give your classic tuna melt an upgrade with Grill My Cheese's recipe – swap canned tuna for succulent tuna fillets, spicy wasabi and peppery rocket. It's the best tuna toastie you'll ever eat
Preparation time 10 mins
Cooking time 2 mins
- 2 x 120g fresh tuna fillets
- Olive oil, for rubbing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, buttered on one side
- 200g mixed grated cheese (1 part Keen's cheddar, 2 parts farmhouse mature cheddar, 1 part gruyère and 2 parts cow's 'low moisture' mozzarella)
- 2 tbsp wasabi mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp capers
- 4 gherkins, sliced
- 2 tsp finely diced onion
- Couple of handfuls of rocket
- Rub the tuna with oil and heat a griddle pan over a high heat. When the pan is smoking hot, add the tuna and sear for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove from the pan, season to taste and set aside to rest and cool slightly before cutting into slices 4mm (1⁄8 inch) thick; it should be nice and pink in the middle.
- Place the bread slices buttered side down and sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over two of the slices, followed by the sliced tuna.
- Spread the wasabi mayonnaise onto the other two slices.
- Divide the capers, sliced gherkins and diced onion between each, finishing with some rocket. Close the sandwiches and toast using your preferred method.